25 October 2007

Am i on Graphics again...

This past week or so my illustrator skills have been called upon to create a couple of logos for some of the other films in the class. I think these guys saw me making the robot texture and liked the look.

Firstly there was kyles logo for his film which is now called Rusty Petal, he'd drawn the basic logo on paper and scanned it in but wanted a clean version from illustrator. I obviously said yes as kyle doesn't ask just anyone for help. After i set to work it became clear that he type wouldn't work as it was drawn the main problem being the mix of UPPER and lower case. Or possibly i just enjoi playing with type a little too much so following his theme which is organic meets mechanic, i found a soft type face that looked similar to the way it was drawn. Next i added some of the nicer curves by deconstructing the lines and building them up. At this point I'd reached kyles look but thought i could take it further to echo the themes of the film so i started breaking things apart again and adding sharp edges too. Then i traced kyles logo using a mixture of the pen and pencil tool. the finished piece is on the right.





Once I'd finished Kyle's Ash approached me as he was having trouble coming up with a logo for the coffee shop/name of his film Cafe de Beignet. i looked at what he was going for and quickly drew a design he liked, he took it to the group and they liked it too. So i set to work again this time felling a little freer to experiment. we ended up simplifying the original design to just half a doughnut with the Cafe name and some crumbs, and i had another satisfied customer.


Now hopefully I'll get back to the blockout on my film.

I'll keep you posted


No comments: